Monday, January 6, 2014

New Year, New Me: Student Edition

Last semester I spoke to a few friends of mine, and they were telling me how stressed out the entire semester was to them especially the finals week. I was not stressed this entire semester and I took six classes 9 Thank God!). I must say that this semester was one of my easier ones and I was surprised since I took more classes than normal. I actually finished off with a 3.95 GPA for this Fall term, and so many college students ( mainly freshmen) asked what was my secret to acing this semester "like a boss" :). So I decided to create a blog with a few helpful tips to ace this up and coming semester.

For starters, focus. Every college student should go into the next semester ready to "tackle" every class that you are enrolled in. Considering our breaks ( both winter and summer) are a bit long I would advise that you come off of vacation about a week before returning to school. Coming off of vacation is my figurative way of advising you to snap out of that relaxing mindset, its time to get back to work and instead of setting yourself back a week or two it is important to be ahead of the game and that is apart of focusing. 

The next important factor in acing this semester would be to attend every class, or at least almost every class. I know everyone has their own unique circumstances and you may not be able to make it to every class, but allow yourself a maximum of 3 absences. One for that beautiful spring day that you may somehow end up at Central Park or in the gymnasium playing basketball. The other two days I would strongly advise not to waste but to save just in case life's circumstances will prevent you from showing up that day.It is so important that you choose wisely. I do recognize that some professors teach simply out the book, some use both their text books and their personal notes, and others may use simply their wisdom;  no matter their teaching method it is important to still show up. Often times participation is a main grading factor, even if it isn't you still want to make your presence known in class for two reasons: 1. Professors are teachers and they have their ways of explaining the bulk of the work in simplest form making it comprehensible. 2. Professors love when students are engaged in their classes, and yes you want to leave a good impression on professors simply because you never know who you my need for a letter of recommendation.

While in class it is important to take great notes. Now, noting taking techniques is another blog topic in itself, but I'll just briefly touch on it. I personally like to take notes thoroughly while in class based off of the professor's notes and questions/ explanations that were raised during class. In a normal hour and a half class my notes will range from about 2-5 pages. As I read the textbook I summarize each page in my own words, which makes it easier for me to remember as I study. 

Studying, like note taking is an extensive subject area and it is very preferential. Before a test I ask questions such as will the exam be more concentrated on in class notes or the text book, or generally what will the test cover. This is important because you don't want to waste your time concentrating more on text books when the test will be heavily concentrated on in-class notes ( however I do advise you to study both). I personally can't cram, that doesn't work for me but in addition I can't study for an extensive period because I will not take it seriously. I usually study about 3-4 days before my exam, days 1-3 are dedicated to focusing on specific chapters and the fourth and final day is dedicated to overall reviewing and test rpacticing with a friend/family member.

As for research papers and homework, just do it to the best of your ability. If you half ass anything expect a half ass grade, this isn't high school where the grades are arguably a bit biased. As the saying goes, better late than never, but never late is better. Points off is always better than a complete  0 or an F.

Lastly, and most importantly, it is always important to keep the lines of communication open between the professor and yourself. Again, life has its circumstances, if anything arises where you cant make class, a test, or hand in something don't be afraid to tell the professor. Often times professors may be willing to work something out that may help you, but how would they know if you don't keep the lines of communication open. Another thing PLEASE don't bullshit the professor, 8/10 they can recognize a lame excuse and they will be less likely to compromise, honesty is the best policy. 

In a nutshell, my biggest secret to being the best student I can be is...............time management. 


I will post more blogs/ vlogs with more helpful tips for studying, taking notes, papers,etc  separately at a later date.

Thanks for reading and don't forget to subscribe. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment