Friday, November 29, 2013

Beauty Undefined

I recall being interviewed on an Internet radio station. The radio station was geared toward plus size women and fashion, I was about 16 and they were doing a special on teenagers that were a little more curvy than average ( whatever that is). The host was actually a family member of mine and she asked me "What makes you so confident?".


My immediate response to that question was my family of course! Prior to entering society I had no idea what beauty was. My family branded into my head that I was beautiful, I was bodacious, I had beautiful skin and beautiful hair, I was so smart and courageous. The more my family and the people around me told me what I was, the more I believed it creating self confidence because there wasn't anyone in society that could tell me different. My family gave me the support I needed to face a narrow minded society. Now, don't get me wrong society will try it honey! I was called fat I was called ugly but at the end of the day I knew that even if I was a bit chubby, whatever I was, I was gorgeous in spite of it all.


Every girl is beautiful in her own way, and I know that is so annoyingly cliche. What society fails to encourage is beauty that takes various forms. Beauty is not only defined by Kim Kardashian or some other bombshell with a body that 95% of the American society does not have but is trying to acquire. Yes, Kim K is beautiful, her curves are beautiful, her hair, and her makeup. My curves are beautiful also( i may just be an hour glass with a bit more time on it), my hair in its natural state is gorgeous, my black is beautiful and can't nobody tell me other wise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment